Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Playing House

A part of recovery from depression/abusive childhood is to get in touch with that inner child and not only feel the pain and sorrows but also to feel the joy and lightheartedness that a child has. 
 
I am about to make a confession, and, if I think about it, too much I might chicken out….. I enjoy playing Sim Social.  It is like a simulated dollhouse (which I didn’t have and always wanted), and in a lot of ways I don’t know how to make a home the way I want it.  I was left home alone A LOT and moving nearly twenty times in my lifetime--with eighteen of those happening before entering college--I never felt settled.  There was always boxes to be unpacked wherever we were living.   
 
When I have memories they are anchored to where I lived at the time and not necessarily my age.  When someone talks about his or her childhood home, I don’t really understand that attachment to a home.  So now as an adult I can "play house" with Sims and build, decorate, and redecorate while enjoying the creative process.  It gives my little heart a bit of joy….I refuse to be ashamed of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment